Monday, October 27, 2008

Layoff close to home!

Today we had a layoff at work! It was the biggest one I've seen since I started working there about six and a half years ago--15% of our workforce. We only had 20 people before the layoff, so three people doesn't sound like a lot in absolute numbers but it's big as a percentage. I suspected something was up when there was a meeting called right away in the morning with a different assortment of employees invited to the meeting. Later I found out that they chose to lay off one person from each of three departments. I know two of the people who got laid off fairly well, so it was sad to see them go. Also, they were two that I had had conversations about spiritual things and so it made me realize that I need to share the gospel with people while I can. I have their contact info so I can still stay in touch with them.

The reason given for the layoff was that a large part of our business comes from overseas and several pending contracts that were expected to be renewed were not and some hot deals that we were expecting to go through did not, so the cuts had to be made. I had a feeling that it might come to this eventually, but I typically tend to be pessimistic in times like these. It is sad to see it happen. I do have to say that I am thankful that I did not get laid off, but it almost seems inappropriate to say that in view of those who were let go.

No comments: