Saturday, October 18, 2008

Focus vs. Distraction

I remembered as it was getting almost time to go to bed that I wanted to try to do a blog entry as close to every day that I can, so here I am. Today I realized that I have a tendency to get distracted easily and this is not a good way to use time. I would like to plan on how to spend my time the day before and then execute that as closely as I can the next day.

I realized that in order to predict my ability to accomplish different tasks I need to be able to anticipate what I would like to accomplish and then measure how well I did that. The only way to do that is to be consistent in doing what I planned to do, or to try as best I can to do that. If I don't strive to focus on my plan, then I may end up accomplishing different things but not what I originally planned, and if I didn't accomplish what I set out to do, then when others ask me about if I could do something, then I lack credibility in being able to plan to do something and accomplish it. So, focus is very important. I really get distracted too easily. I want to work on this.

I want to gain pleasure not so much in my freedom to do different things as much as my ability to do what I set out to do by focusing my energy on that. I think I waste way too much time in getting distracted.

One exception to this focused mentality would be if someone genuinely in need comes across my path without my knowing that previously. I think that sort of "distraction" would be legitimate. However, I need to exercise discernment in deciding who to help, since I could be enabling some people who could survive on their own legitimately. My attitude should be to work hard to stick to a plan so as to serve God and others and myself well.

This year I've learned some things about managing money more wisely. Now I would like to learn how to manage time (aka myself) better. This is a critical skill to have.

No comments: