Monday, October 20, 2008

Am I schizophrenic? Why do I feel more alive away from work than at work?

My experience at work and my experience away from work seem to be very different. It's really odd. I almost wonder if I am schizophrenic or something. It seems at work that I don't interact with people that much and I don't seem to get a lot of good vibes from others there, but when I leave work and go somewhere else, to say a Bible study or a singles group or something like that, that I feel very much alive and connected to other people. It makes me wonder how consistent I am or if I really act and behave like a Christian should! I can imagine that for many people that there is some kind of a difference between their experiences at work and their experiences in other contexts, but I think my experience is more intense.

I think part of the problem for me is that I work as a receptionist and I can't "hide" in a cubicle like several of my co-workers do. I am a fish in a fishbowl, so to speak. So, while others can move from work mode to chatting with co-workers mode, I can't do that so easily. And to add to that, I tend to like to have a private place to think and work, and that is not part of a receptionist's job. My desk faces people rather than being away from people. So, in order to not make undue eye contact with people, I have developed the habit of not making eye contact in most cases unless my co-workers approach me and I can tell they want to talk or ask me something.

I think the best solution to this is to get away from being in a receptionist position so that I can have a little more privacy to work with and then I would have a little more motivation to talk to others.

No comments: