Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Inspired to Find and Make Opportunities to Write

Today I went to my tech writing class that I've been taking at De Anza College. It's the second-to-the-last class. We turned in our portfolio today of our writing that we've done. I'm inspired to continue to build my portfolio over time. It's very empowering! Writing is something that has no economic barriers (other than the writing instruments themselves) and so it's something I can do and practice and get better at over time. I had asked my professor about ideas for finding ways to build my portfolio after the class is over and she said not to wait for requestors (as she put it) but to just look at my portfolio for skills that I haven't demonstrated (e.g., doing creative writing or writing a white paper) and just think of something to write about and just do it! I'm inspired! I want to keep up this habit and I'm inspired because I can do it.

I think one area I would like to explore is poetry or some creative writing. Sometimes I ponder deep subjects and prose just doesn't do those subjects justice. I need to get better at poetic and creative writing.


She also recommended asking friends for projects that they need help with that requires writing, such as writing a business plan. I want to start broadcasting to friends that I'm available to write things for them and just start doing it.

No comments: